Dr. Andrew Brimhall, LMFT
Finding the right therapist can be difficult and scary. Telling someone else about your feelings and needs can feel overwhelming. Because of this, it is essential you feel comfortable with your therapist. Research suggest that a good working relationship with your therapist is the most important factor in judging whether or not therapy is effective. This is the primary reason I offer a free phone consultation. Please call and ask any questions you have! I welcome the opportunity to work with you and your family and want to make sure you feel it is a good fit.
I have been doing therapy for more two decades. Based on my effective work with couples, families, and children I have been featured on t.v., the radio, and have been published on several occasions. I specialize in marital and family conflict, restoring intimacy, addictions, and child behavioral problems. I am one of few clinicians in Eastern North Carolina with a Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy from a COAMFTE-Accredited program (the highest level of accreditation for Marriage and Family Therapy). This means you can have confidence that the training I received was of the highest caliber.
I am one of the few clinicians in Greenville, NC with a Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy from a COAMFTE-Accredited program (the highest level of accreditation in the nation for Marriage and Family Therapy).
I received my Ph.D. in Marriage and Family Therapy from Texas Tech University. Texas Tech is one of the premier, if not the premier, training institutes in the country for Marriage and Family Therapists. What this means for you is that you can have confidence that the training I received was of the highest caliber. More importantly, I was specifically trained in doing therapy with couples and families rather than being trained in individual therapy and then trying to adapt to having more than one person in the same room. Instead I have received specific training on effectively dealing with the needs of multiple people at the same time.
The training received at Texas Tech University was in addition to the excellent training I received while obtaining my master’s degree at Brigham Young University, another premier training institute accredited by COAMFTE.
I have been doing therapy for nearly two decades. The experiences I’ve had during this time has been extremely diverse. They have included, but are not limited to, the following experiences:
- Private Practice: For the past decade I’ve been in private practice helping individuals, couples, and families heal their relationships and learn to become more emotionally centered.
- Associate Professor, East Carolina University: In addition to providing therapy for individuals, couples and families, I teach in the marriage and family therapy program at East Carolina University. I have been training other mental health providers for nearly two decades. This means that I am constantly learning the cutting edge research on working with individuals, couple, and families.
- Clinical Director, LifeSTAR Missouri: Directed program designed to help individuals, couples and families dealing with addictions and other compulsive behaviors
- Therapist, Employee Assistance Program (EAP): Provided therapy for organizations contracted with the Department of Neuropsychiatry at Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center
- Therapist, Aspen Achievement Academy: Provided therapy for at-risk adolescents who were enrolled in a wilderness therapy program to help them improve their decision making.
- Group Leader: Over the years I have led several groups including premarital groups, parenting groups, and a therapy group designed to help families adapt to the fact that their child was diagnosed with schizophrenia.
AAMFT Approved Supervisor
I am a clinical fellow and approved supervisor of the American Association of Marriage and Family Therapist. In order to achieve this designation you must have received sufficient training and be licensed in the state where you practice. To learn more about this designation, visit AAMFT’s website below: